(urth) Father Inire Theory cont.

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 15:07:05 PST 2010

What I think is the best piece of evidence is in chapter 11 of /Soldier of the
Mist/, after Oior saves Latro from the bowman Spu (which Borski says Jeremy
Crampton glossed as "eye"), when Latro sees Spu dead.  Spu points to his eye and
calls Latro "Neurian", that is, werewolf.  Has Spu recognized Latro as a
werewolf?  (Or could he only mean that he recognized Latro as Oior's sworn
brother and concludes that he's Oior's fellow werewolf?  As we find out later,
Oior is a Neurian, but my alternative seems a bit doubtful.)

Also, Borski suggests that the unexplained "wolf's tooth" that the Mother gave
Latro, according to Apollo (Chapter 2) and Kore (Chapter 19) is the curse of
lycanthropy.

Other things work as well if Latro is a werewolf as if he isn't.  Latro could
mean "I bark".  His real name, Lucius, sounds like the Greek word for "wolf".
He describes himself as "loping" and "trotting" (Chapter 41).  And when Latro
meets the Triple Goddess, who calls herself the Queen of the Neurians (a point
Borski misses), he says, "My teeth warred in my mouth, the teeth above against
the teeth below"--chattering with fear, or starting to transform (Chapter 22).

Borski's ideas of evidence are very different from mine, but this is way better
than Snow White, you wanna know my opinion.

Jerry Friedman