(urth) Father Inire theory cont.

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 13:30:44 PST 2010

I completely agree with Andrew. The Devil has many names, and
admittedly each of them has a different flavor as to how he is
characterized. But if you say "Lucifer" to an average American he'll
equate that with the "devil" who goes around seeking to steal or buy
souls, as well as Satan, Old Nick, etc.

(On the other hand, exactly this distinction was made in the rather
brilliant [and British] _Hellblazer_ comic. After Lucifer resigned
from his post, the Devil -- Satan -- took up the job.)

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Andrew Mason
<andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> David Stockhoff wrote:
>
>> Lee, I'm not trying to be unfair. The Devil runs a very different kind
>> of game than does Lucifer. They are not the same. If you say Devil, I
>> read Devil. If you say Lucifer, I read Lucifer. It helps to say what you
>> mean as much as you can---it would save us all a lot of words. :)
>
> It's fairly standard in Christian tradition to see 'Lucifer' and
> 'Devil/Satan' as different names for the same figure. I'd agree that
> in origin they are different (and other diabolic titles, like
> 'Beelzebub', are different in origin again) but I don't think Lee is
> being unreasonable in running them together here.

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes