(urth) Father Inire Theory cont.

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 09:32:07 PST 2010

>David Stockhoff- The Autarchy is a thin thread, yes, but its very strength is the lives of commoners.
>One could argue, easily, that the people are always a higher source of authority than blood or
>blatantly false divine grace. Anyway, it is merely a rhetorical point as to whether a king is raised
>or cheapened by his proximity to the source of his authority---you can have it either way. Transparent
>knockoff or ritual imitation of the Ideal? But I think you mean to point out that Inire provides stronger
>continuity than the Autarchy. Agreed.

The optical illusion in my previous post is simple. Two perspectives. As we have discussed, Wolfe can be
understood on far more than two levels. So yes, Father Inire can be seen as a Merlin figure. And yes, as
you suggest, he can be seen as a Machiavellian benefit to the populace (the Peter Wright level?).

I don't mean to ignore those levels but they have been explored. I am tracking the Father Inire as
Fallen Angel/Devil/Goat/Monkey god Dionysus/Demiurge level because it has been almost universally ignored
and I think it provides a framework for much new insight.

I could point to Inire's creepy smile and the use of teratoid (monstrous) symbols to mark his chambers and various
other nefarious bits of evidence. But, like the old crone, I think you either can see him in the demon's role or
you don't (or won't or can't). If you can, and go back and read the books, there will be numerous "oh...!"
moments not previously apparent.

>You mean as the Increate keeps the Devil employed, so does Inire keep Vodalus busy. But where is the Devil?

The Devil is right where he has always been throughout history and Rolling Stones songs: whispering in the
King's (or Fuherer's) ear making the most horrible atrocities against humanity seem justified and righteous.
Endless warfare, entrenched, perfected, government-sanctioned torture, corpse-eating, cloning, animal fights,
witchcraft, etc. All sustained for centuries and justified in ways that fool even the reader into thinking..
"hey, this stuff is okay..."

Think about Inire's note to newly "crowned" Severian. I'll paraphrase it: "Hail, mighty sire! Your humble
servant has been very busy running the Commonwealth doing every important, nasty deed there is. Getting more
weapons for our side, supporting the enemy and elevating a new, nasty leader for them, etc. etc. I've got it
all under control...IF that meets your approval, your highness.." So the Devil-run process begins anew. What is
a new Autarch going to say to all that but..."okay".

Does it have significance that Severian, unlike 1000 years of his predecessors under Inire, has the moral backbone
to dissolve the Torturer's Guild? Yes. But that's later in the theory. (hint: what did Severian REALLY do to
qualify as the bringer of Ushas? Torturer guild is Urth writ small I think)