(urth) Dionysus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 14:05:14 PST 2010

On 12/9/2010 3:39 PM, Andrew Mason wrote:

>> ed nicely with Dionysus
> Andrew Mason-
> Objections to what? I'm not objecting to the idea that inhumi are
> connected with Dionysus. I was only questioning your specific
> statement that 'we agree that he's is the god of the "vine", not just
> grape vines.I do not believe specific species of vines mattered to
> Wolfe for this association one little bit'. That sounded as though you
> thought Dionysus was traditionally venerated as the god of climbing
> plants generally, and that Wolfe understood things this way, and it
> did not occur to him that 'god of the vine' has anything specific to
> do with grapes. I think Gerry read you that way as well. If you did
> not mean this, I apologise.

What I meant was that *for purposes of literary allusion*, all that
mattered to Wolfe is that Dionysus is called "the god of the vine". Yet,
the term "liana" was still deftly chosen because could very well be used
to refer to grape vines as it is not a grouping but a description of the
way a plant grows. Obviously, Wolfe knows and cares that Dionysus is the
god of the grape vine, because for the inhumi, their wine is blood. I
thought I'd made that clear, but I guess not.

Looking back at Gerry's original objection I would be very surprised
that that is what he is getting at. In his 12/7 post that started all
this he responded thus:

Me: "Additionally, I have argued that the very word "inhuma" was chosen
for its association with Dionysus, the god of the vine. There are
undeniable, although unexplained, associations between the inhumi and
vines."

Gerry: "If the inhumi are associated with vines, those are the lianas on
Green, which as far as I know do not yield grapes."

Well, so what? Yet, it seemed to make a great difference to Gerry. I
supposed the lianas would have to have fat purple humans growing from
them for it to be a valid literary allusion for him. But, you might be
right. It could be a big misunderstanding.

u+16b9