(urth) Dionysus

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 11:09:31 PST 2010

Andrew Mason wrote (09-12-2010 17:46):

> He is also associated with ivy. I wouldn't say he was the god of ivy -
> that would be like calling Hermes the god of winged sandals - but it
> is one of his symbols. So an imaginative writer might use climbing
> plants more generally as a symbol of him.

But not here, I think. The fact that [grape]vine and ivy were always kept
separate as associates of Dyonisus is enough for someone like Wolfe,
american or not, not to abstract them into 'climbing plants'.

However, given precedent and the way Wolfe toys with the transmission of
lore, I think a case may be made either way in what regards 'vine'. Not
necessairly very convincingly on the non-grapy side, but strong enough.