(urth) This week in Google Alerts: review of _The Knight_

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 22:26:57 PST 2010

From: Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>

> In the comments, the blogger talks about the Tower of Glas being one of the
>more "videogamey"
> aspects of TWK. This rather surprised me, as I think there's a lot going on in
>that particular
>
> passage. One of my very first posts here was about the Tower as a combination
>of a) the Tower of > Babel and b) Dante's Purgatory.
>

> http://lists.urth.net/htdig.cgi/urth-urth.net/2006-September/006826.htmlatt

No matter what else is going on, climbing an immense stair while being attacked
by one flying monster after another strikes me as kind of "videogamey".

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Daniel Petersen
><danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com> wrote:
>Lane Haygood <lhaygood at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 'If the blogger cannot understand the artistry involved in such a flawed
>narrator, well, I wish him
> > the best of his Cormac McCarthy.'
>
> Totally agree with your point about his missing the artistry of writing through
>Able.

I'm not sure I do.  I like a lot of TWK, but I think Able's writing is
inconsistent, as the blogger said, and I don't see the artistry of that.  Unless
someone is suggesting that Able is only pretending to write like an American
teenager through most, but not all, of /Knight/?

Jerry Friedman