(urth) Father Inire Theory

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Dec 7 12:04:16 PST 2010

nice! It's actually a good idea to have a list like this, although I'd approach it a little differently, trying to emphasize the organizing principle. I'd make #1
Gothic space opera/mythologizing of all science fiction cliches known to man
Of course, there is an autobiographical aspect to this one as well, since Wolfe grew up on pulp. But I suspect it is #6 that would contain "Wolfe's conversion to Catholicism."
or is that theory not yet accepted?
And maybe allegory and allusion and referentiality should have purposes: the creation of myth, the creation of books from other books, etc. Also, I'd add "book as universe/author as God."