(urth) Father Inire Theory

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:38:10 PST 2010

>Why can't Wolfe be read on more than one level?

>Jeff Wilson- It's one interpretation *per* *level* of the text.

I could accept that as a working principle. But then we have to discuss how many
levels of understanding there are. Severian is required to recite the 7 levels in
regard to governance. I think the first and last are the same, so let's go for 6.

1. Gothic space opera
2. Religious-theological allegory
3. Mythological allusion and analog
4. Socio-political allegory (Peter Wright)
5. Classic literature references
6. Gene Wolfe autobiographical

In my view, a serious reader should try to understand the Sun Series at all six levels
simultaneously. When understanding at one level has gaps or vague areas it is valid to seek answers
or gap fillers at the other levels. For example if the gothic space opera doesn't tell us who Severian's
family members are it is possible we can infer answers from the other levels.

>There's considerable middle ground between ignoring an idea and embracing it as literal gospel.
>Yesod is figuratively heaven, Tzadkiel is sorta-kinda an angel, and Inire and the Cumaean may
>have fallen from the grace of their "cousins" by casting their lots in with Urthly humanity.
>I suppose Inire being a able to be a Pannite anyone anywhere is a slightly fresher metaphor
>than being Argus Thousandeyed, but it's too good a solution - it threatens to half-solve all
>the mysteries in the book with the same answer "Inire did it", and leave unanswerable
>"why did he bother?"

I could have written that paragraph myself, with the exception of the very last sentence clause. I never
present any portion of my theory without plenty of qualifiers to ensure that I see my ideas as possibilities.
Food for thought. New perspectives. Additions without subtraction from what has come before.

You have criticized my Father Inire theory for being too global and now as "too good a solution"? WTF!

When Roy called it my "Grand Unified Theory" I took it in the same spirit as Republicans and Tea Partiers
calling Obama "The Messiah". Ridicule via excessive praise. Is this also your intention?

>From the gothic space opera perspective you see Inire and the Cumaean as being assigned tasks on Urth by an
angelic boss. To me this doesn't ring true as what they are doing seems anything but angelic- perpetrating
an endless war by playing both sides, necromancy, witchcraft, cloning, beautification via mutilation,
animal-human splicing, etc. So, I look to a different level for an explanation and I get one. It isn't THE
answer but it is AN answer. I am actually quite interested in alternate answers.

Yes, in my theory there are far-reaching possibilities of "Inire did it" explanations with varying degrees of
support from the text, in my opinion. But each is a possibility only. And I certainly don't leave unanswered
the question- "why did he bother". I have recently posted my simple answer to that which is based on a
gnostic (blend of mythology and religion) explanation.

As, mentioned to Gerry, I'm open to any questions at any level regarding my theory. I'll do my best to answer.