(urth) Dionysus

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Dec 7 11:10:09 PST 2010

One can imagine many simple reasons for a narrator to turn away from a memory. I think this situation arises often in Wolfe, and usually it's something really basic. When the context is more down to Earth, the guessing is easier.
Here, I sense that Horn feels the shock of recognition. He assures us, lest we feel fear, that the Neighbor's hand was not slimy or scaly, but will not say more. Some possibilities are: (1) the hand is jointed in a complex alien manner that requires closer attention than Horn could give it, and more detail than he wants to put into the narrative (2) the hand is that of an ungulate, showing that the Neighbor is a six-limbed forest deer/goat/whatever (3) the hand is the hand of a man, more or less (4) the hand is his own hand or that of someone he knows (this is Wolfe after all).
These look like the basic options to me. I'd choose 2 or 3 but I don't think I can pick between them. Any thoughts?