(urth) Dionysus

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Dec 5 09:14:36 PST 2010

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James Wynn

      James Wynn-
      There is no justification in the story for [Horn's] spirit to subsequently die while Silk's lives. If Silk's spirit dies, his body needs Horn's spirit. And that's what I argue happened.
    Gerry Quinn-
    You say there's no justification in the story... but then what do you think happens at the end?  My impression is that Silk returns somehow.  At the least, what remains at the end seems not to be Horn - it might be some kind of merger of Horn and Silk I suppose.

  Of course it's not Horn. (I say) Horn died in the pit and even his memories--those physically housed in his body--died on Green. By the time the Rajan begins writing the story, all that is left of Horn is the memory of his memories. Silk's memories live on physically, but his spirit has died. It is the Neighbor that continues to animate him. Thematically, this is a rationalization of the Trinity. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

But something happens at the end, after the inhumi attack the church.  Up to now there has been this person who appears to be Horn in Silk's body, although at some point we go from first to third person (no point that appears special, though). Then suddenly something happens and the text decribes him as Silk, as if Remora's mention of hyacinths had brought him back.

If a Neighbour spirit is somehow animating Silk's body, what's happening here?

Also, if a Neighbour replaced Horn in the pit, how did he know Krait would come?  If Krait (character list: the inhuma who was adopted by Horn) hadn't come, it seems he would have lain there for ever and died - died again, according to your theory.  Unless the Neighbour had planned it all with Krait (and their conversation seems to make it doubtful) why would the Neighbour engage in such a pointless exercise, effectively killing his own spirit for no good reason?

Also, doesn't it happen afterwards that the Neighbours turn over Blue to Horn in return for certain considerations, in his capacity as representative of the human race on Blue?  If Horn is really a Neighbourm how is this agreement legitimate?

- Gerry Quinn