(urth) Dionysus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 16:09:57 PST 2010

>     James Wynn-
>     There is no justification in the story for [Horn's] spirit to
>     subsequently die while Silk's lives. If Silk's spirit dies, his
>     body needs Horn's spirit. And that's what I argue happened.
>
> Gerry Quinn-
> You say there's no justification in the story... but then what do you
> think happens at the end?  My impression is that Silk returns
> somehow.  At the least, what remains at the end seems not to be Horn -
> it might be some kind of merger of Horn and Silk I suppose.

Of course it's not Horn. (I say) Horn died in the pit and even his
memories--those physically housed in his body--died on Green. By the
time the Rajan begins writing the story, all that is left of Horn is the
memory of his memories. Silk's memories live on physically, but his
spirit has died. It is the Neighbor that continues to animate him.
Thematically, this is a rationalization of the Trinity. Father, Son, and
Holy Spirit.

What on first read, might seem to be Silk grieving over Hyacinth (and
there is some conflation there) is in fact the Neighbor grieving over
the death of Horn, remembering Horn's remorse at his of loss of future.
Or perhaps he's grieving over the destruction of his people.

> [I can't say I like the ending of RttW, it's all very Wizard of Oz...
> but as I said I guess I need another read or two to be very sure of my
> opinions.] Horn took some bad beats - and weren't there indications
> before now that he had some suicidal tendencies?

I think you are thinking of Horn leaping from the floater. But Wolfe has
confirmed that that was mischievous Mucor possessing him, acting on
Silk's suicidal tendencies. And now that you bring it up, there were

u+16b9