(urth) Father Inire Theory

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Dec 4 22:38:49 PST 2010

On 12/4/2010 11:42 PM, Ryan Dunn wrote:

>>> We could thus disqualify Maxellindis' uncle from consideration as a version of Inire.
>>> Or it could be a push toward option 2: The multiple versions of Inire are independently
>>> operating copies of a larger god-like being. I've been leaning toward #2 for a while.
>>

>> That would suggest that Severian and Dux Caesidius and Ouen are shape-shifting godlets, as they resemble each other in just as many respects. Agia and Agilus are even more alike, surely they are as well?  The Path of Air woman, Catherine, and the woman stolen from the necropolis are likewise suspiciously similar. The village sorcerers are practically all alike other than their names, and then there are the ape men at the mine who don't even have names to set them apart. Are they all carbon copy gods as well?
>

> To paraphrase with less snarkiness... Jeff Wilson does not believe Father Inire to be a shapeshifter.

Not one of that kind at least. Most of the major and minor characters
undergo changes equally or more profound, but in different ways. The
shapeshifting of Foila's story and Tzadkiel's literal ability are
"taken", and the plot device needn't be debased when there are so many
options left like Dr Talos' thaumaturgy or the mirrors'
transmogrification, or the Exultants' royal jelly, or....

Inire and the Cumaean are manufactured creatures or at least of
manufactured race, like the rest of the Yesodis. They have no need to
split and change shape because they are made to order for their specific
tasks handed down by the likes of Tzadkiel. They become bent with age as
they struggle to exceed their parameters, but that's it. They're the
underpeople, the replicants of Yesod, similar to the way the animal-folk
are the underpeople of the Commonwealth.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >