(urth) Father Inire Theory

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Dec 4 21:52:24 PST 2010

On 12/4/2010 11:38 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 12/4/2010 10:07 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
>>

>>> Jeff Wilson: Maxellindis' uncle was under constant observation by
>>> Eata for four or
>>> five years on their boat before *he* died, also during the time when
>>> Inire was actively serving Autarch Severian.
>>
>> We could thus disqualify Maxellindis' uncle from consideration as a
>> version of Inire.
>> Or it could be a push toward option 2: The multiple versions of Inire
>> are independently
>> operating copies of a larger god-like being. I've been leaning toward
>> #2 for a while.
>

> That would suggest that Severian and Dux Caesidius and Ouen are
> shape-shifting godlets, as they resemble each other in just as many
> respects. Agia and Agilus are even more alike, surely they are as well?
> The Path of Air woman, Catherine, and the woman stolen from the
> necropolis are likewise suspiciously similar. The village sorcerers are
> practically all alike other than their names, and then there are the ape
> men at the mine who don't even have names to set them apart. Are they
> all carbon copy gods as well?

I guess what I am getting at, why is it important for there to be more
than one shapehifting, multi-body godlike being in the story? And why
does the very different forms and behaviors of the apport and Zak and
Tzadkerbell set a precedent for a small group of vaguely reminiscent
people who don't actually display shape changing despite going to
considerable trouble to hide their physical appearance?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >