(urth) Dionysus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 11:57:12 PST 2010

>> James Wynn-
>> The Neighbors could not just heal Horn because the spirit had left.
>
> Jane Delawyney-
> Some evidence in support of this POV [snip] Secondly, after
> Nessus-Rigoglio dies, the party returns to Blue - and we are told that
> when Rigoglio awoke on Blue, he was a 'spiritless thing', his
> spirit-self having died on the Red Sun Whorl. 'Spiritless' is afair
> specifically distinguished from 'soulless'. No more details are given,
> but the  reader is left in no doubt that in all respects that matter
> as far as human life is concerned, Rigoglio is actually dead, even
> though his physical body was not harmed in any way during the expedition.
>
> In the light of this I think it possible that when Horn is dying on
> Green, the Neighbour can't prevent it, because his spirit has already
> separated itself from the body.[snip]

Significantly, there are puppet references associated with Horn. Shortly
after leaving home, he is attacked by a leatherskin, a creature with
three jaws. It is Pinocchio's "dog fish" ("Monstro" the whale in the
Disney movie) that has three jaws. Earlier he relates a story from
Horn's  childhood about a puppet he had.

u+16b9