(urth) Foes of the Increate

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Dec 3 13:47:45 PST 2010

Good points Lee.

That note was originally called Foes of the New Sun.
I changed it because I'm trying to expose the metaphor behind the masks.
All of these types of foes represent classic denials of God and God's gifts.
By overcoming them, and breaking all alegiences, he aligns himself with the increate.
It is significant that after Baldanders, he finally finds the Pelerines and makes good on his promise to return the claw.  I'm convinced the Pelerines are a standin for the remnants of a catholic style church of the Conciliator. So then, when Severian tries to bring  Master Ash back to them, we get a clear indicator that he is now on the right path.  He winks out of existance because the probability of his future is now nil, or next to nil.