(urth) Who's Right

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Dec 3 12:07:19 PST 2010

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>Ryan Dunn- My perception of the BotNS, in my readings, leads me more down
>>the "we're watching you,"
>>premise, where others may not feel that is as central to the story.
>
> I'm with you on that Ryan. My Father Inire ideas can be rendered silly by
> focusing on the ephemera
> like monkeys and hair color and ignoring the central theme which is that
> Severian is being watched and
> steered. It is a common debator's trick.

And if I question theories in which two and two do not make four, I suppose
it is only because I am a mathematician.

I mentioned monkeys, but I also pointed out what I consider to be the flaw
in your five main reasons for believing in the Inire theory.

> Many of the episodes to which Severian seems steered towards can be
> interpreted as for the purpose of observing
> him in action: Dorcas at the lake, avern duel, Little Severian, Typhon,
> Miles, Leech etc. Leaving Urth then
> returning, the action resumes with Ceryx and Zama.

On the other hand, isn't something of the sort intrinsic to the structure of
*any* novel featuring a main character?  [Wolfe has even written a short
story 'The Last Thrilling Wonder Story' in which the main character is the
plaything of his demigod-like Author.  The True God, or at least his faith,
sets him free.]

- Gerry Quinn