(urth) God/Increate in the New Sun

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Dec 2 20:08:51 PST 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'll again mention the final denouement of BotNS which takes place in the future of
> the Long and Short Sun stories. After all Severian's efforts and after so many people
> killed, I would at least hope for Ushas to show signs of being a Christian planet.
> Instead we have a rather gnostic group of four opposite gods, dark and light, male
> and female. And a demon swimming around in the ocean.

When Severian learns about the nascent cosmology of Ushas from the man who feeds E Sleeper, he tries to enlighten them a bit.

"There is no God but the Increate, all the rest being his creatures." I was tempted to add, "Even Tzadkiel," but I did not. "Yes," he said. And he turned his face away, not wishing, I think, to see my look if he offended me. "That is so for the gods, certainly. But for humble creatures like men, there are lesser gods, possibly. To poor, wretched men these lesser gods are very, very exalted. We strive to please them." I smiled to show I was not angry. "