(urth) Home Fires

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 10:01:09 PST 2010

My apologies if this is old news. (I didn't find it in the archives.)

I just noticed that amazon has a listing for _Home Fires_ and a summary:

Gene Wolfe takes us to a future North America at once familiar and  utterly
strange. A young man and woman, Skip and Chelle, fall in love in  college and
marry, but she is enlisted in the military, there is a war  on, and she must
serve her tour of duty before they can settle down. But  the military is
fighting a war with aliens in distant solar systems,  and her months in the
service will be years in relative time on Earth.  Chelle returns to recuperate
from severe injuries, after months of  service, still a young woman but not
necessarily the same person—while  Skip is in his forties and a wealthy
businessman, but eager for her  return.

Still in love (somewhat to his surprise and delight),  they go on a Caribbean
cruise to resume their marriage. Their vacation  rapidly becomes a complex
series of challenges, not the least of which  are spies, aliens, and battles
with pirates who capture the ship for  ransom. There is no writer in SF like
Gene Wolfe and no SF novel like Home Fires.

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Fires-Gene-Wolfe/dp/0765328186/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291312749&sr=1-1

(Release date is listed as Jan 18.)