(urth) Neighbors & Trees/Ash & Vine

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 20:28:22 PST 2010

I've been following the discussion with some interest. It really seems like
Horn died in the pit. Aside from the other evidence mentioned, the chapter is
called The End and Horn explicitly calls it his grave. Maybe I was conditioned
by Severian's eidolon resurrection but I can remember thinking even on first
reading that, "okay, this guy really just died". So something inexplicably brought
him back to life. I don't know the answer but I thought it must have something
to do with Krait since that's who Horn sees him as he regains consciousness. I
am interested in hearing more about James' theory regarding greenbuck and the
Neighbors. It would help explain that other mystery- why Horn is so instantly
recognized and accepted by the Neighbors.

>Roy C. Lackey- Silkhorn believed that the Neighbors had spaceships

I think maybe this is also supported by the pit? It is large and circular
and the vegetation in it is all new growth. Moreover there is a ring of
blue glass encircling the pit. Fused sand from the heat of take-off rocket
exhaust?

Seawrack notes a similarity of the constructions in the pit to those she has
seen underwater. Evidence of a Flood?