(urth) Grand Unified Theory

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 04:18:12 PDT 2010

> Dave Tallman -- Does this mean we won't see your Hyacinth/Fava theory
> this weekend after all? I hope you'll have time to post it. I'm also
> hoping you have a good explanation for the coach dream on pp. 94-95 of
> RttW.
> "Fearing that Fava might be angry, I looked behind us; she had become
> a dead doll, with Chenille's knife protruding from her ribs... I
> explained to Mora that I was taking us to Blue, but she had become
> Hyacinth."
> I realize this is just a dream, but why did Mora become Hyacinth
> rather than Fava? Why did Fava become Orpine?

They are not just dreams, but, no, I don't have an answer for this one,
because it is tied up in the significance of Orpine -- who is a key
centerpiece in Silk's enlightenment. And I don't understand Orpine. I'm
pretty certain Hyacinth and Mora are not to be *directly* identified (in
the way I am saying Fava and Hy are). But Orpine as connected to
Hyacinth has always...well, not made *sense*...but she and Hyacinth are
the two women in caskets that Silk stands over. And there is a knife at
hand as Silk stands over Hy's coffin. So I see that there is (likely) an
intended referred connection. In a way, Hy *does* become Orpine. And
Silk stands over Fava's corpse too.

WHAT I DO UNDERSTAND (or think I do) is that this dream is connected to
the dream Silk has at the beginning of "Lake of the Long Sun." In that
one, Orpine has Mucor's face and she is "clawing" at the dagger in her
side. And there too, Hyacinth sits beside him in the deathcoach. And,
voila, Silk gives his old, bloodstained handkerchief --the one that
covered Orpine's face --- to Hyacinth "to cover her nose and mouth". So
here we again have a connection made between Hy and Orpine. But I don't
claim to know what it means.

I'm not denying the significance of these dreams. But, I believe that,
whatever the true meaning we ultimately come to understand, Fava will
still be Hyacinth. There are just too many other expected actors and
pointers. Fava being Hyacinth doesn't answer every open important
mystery. It doesn't explain Mother or the connection between Seawrack
and Hyacinth either.

u+16b9