(urth) Grand Unified Theory

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 14:40:54 PDT 2010

> António Marques - the modern word represents a coincidence and
> convergence of at least two unrelated words of similar sound and
> sense. Tiphon  "violent storm, whirlwind, tornado" is recorded from
> 1555, from Gk. typhon  "whirlwind," personified as a giant, father of
> the winds, perhaps from typhein  "to smoke." The meaning "cyclone,
> violent hurricane of India or the China Seas" (1588) is first recorded
> in T. Hickock's translation of an account in Italian of a voyage to
> the East Indies by Cæsar Frederick, a merchant of Venice, probably
> borrowed from, or infl. by, Chinese (Cantonese) tai fung  "a great wind,"

Have we not learned from reading Wolfe that there are no "coincidences"
of this sort?
The Greek FATHER of Winds is the Cantonese GREAT (larger and more
dominant personage of) Wind.
But if Wolfe had a Chinese man in a story speak Typhon's name in dialect
(Typhun-gh), he would be criticized for his embarrassing, cultural
condescension.

;-)

(I used my fifth post for this, heh heh)