(urth) Grand Unified Theory

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Aug 25 13:56:25 PDT 2010

Is it possible that the supposedly Cantonese word "typhoon" is strictly
an accident arising from a translation to English of a word an Italian
heard in China under the influence of "typhon"?

That would make the word almost purely Western, gaining its Cantonese
meaning only because a Chinese word sounds like it. Pure Orientalism.