(urth) GUTs and so on

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 14:02:53 PDT 2010

I think (almost) all of us have been guilty of that at some point, myself
included. (I know I've got some weird ideas about TWK and Sorcerer's House.)

But one thing that I always want to know is how the details or the baroque
theories do more than point out some hidden plot point. As much as I disagree
with MOST of Borski's stuff, say, one thing I appreciate about him is that he
will occasionally take a step back and reflect on why his theories matter and
how they might change our general understanding and even thematic
interpretations. One thing I like about Wolfe is that the puzzles that I'm
pretty sure are there and are there to be solved are usually there for a pretty
interesting reason, rather than just being puzzles to be solved. That Severian
may have died and come back (either resurrected or as an eidolon) multiple times
in BotNS, say, has all kinds of philosophical and theological ramifications for
the story. Guessing that some minor character may be his second cousin once
removed by hidden marriage on his step mother's side, however...not so much.

In the most recent case, I'd want to know not just IF Fava is Hy, but I'd also
want to know how that changes what we're supposed to think about Silk/Silkhorn
in terms of his prophet-status, etc.