(urth) list slowdown

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Mon Aug 16 20:15:00 PDT 2010

On Aug 16, 2010, at 10:41 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

> While I am sympathetic to Mark Millman's sentiment, I am, in contrast to
> James Wynn, not contrite or chastened. In my opinion this current flurry
> of activity is temporary and the result of some minor irritant which has
> infected the board and prodded and provoked members into multiple contentious
> discussions.
>
> Soon the topics that have intense interest will decline in number and total postings
> will die down to the handful of posts per day that recent times have seen.
> Moreover I think if we take a yearly average of posts per day for all members it
> will compute to rather less than 5 per day even for the most prolific.

The censure of activity coupled with the censoring of debate is a bit unfortunate.

I am partially to blame for the recent resurgence of activity, and for that I apologize. But the mere fact that I should apologize to the prudish few -- those who don't like their mailbox clogged and haven't learned how to set up Rules and Filters to quarantine the Urth messages, and so forth -- is in itself a let down.

I personally really, REALLY like the discourse on this mailing list, but alas it is not MY mailing list, so if the powers that be don't want to encourage spirited, renewed debate, and still others long for a sunnier yesteryear when every post was a monumental essay on all things holy and Wolfean, then so be it.

Five posts a day it is, sirs and madams.

...ryan