(urth) list slowdown

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:41:36 PDT 2010

While I am sympathetic to Mark Millman's sentiment, I am, in contrast to
James Wynn, not contrite or chastened. In my opinion this current flurry
of activity is temporary and the result of some minor irritant which has
infected the board and prodded and provoked members into multiple contentious
discussions.

Soon the topics that have intense interest will decline in number and total postings
will die down to the handful of posts per day that recent times have seen.
Moreover I think if we take a yearly average of posts per day for all members it
will compute to rather less than 5 per day even for the most prolific.

>Dave Lebling- I hate to do the "when I was a lad" thing, but in the old days on the
>list (before Long Sun, before Short Sun, etc.) most of the posts were in
>the nature of short essays rather than the quick
>few-lines-added-and-many-quoted that we are seeing lately. People would
>read them and comment thoughtfully with original content. No doubt my
>memories are showing the sunsets more beautiful and the leaves more
>green, but interesting new ideas (like the connection between Greek myth
>and Silk's life) are lost in the shuffle at the current volume of
>messages per day.

This sentiment I tend to agree with.