(urth) Patera Incus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 07:13:32 PDT 2010

  :
> Antonio - I must admit that when I first read 'Incus is a woman' I
> thought it was an interesting idea. But James's explanation of his
> theory made me go back to the text, and to be honest I don't read
> there anything remotely like what he suggests. I'm all for considering
> there's something there, but I see no way to make that passage say
> 'Incus is a woman and/or is telling Fulmar that'. I mean, I read
> James's effort, but I just don't find it is a possible reading of
> what's there.

This is cool. I detailed why Incus is a woman for general informational
edification, rather than for help working out the theory. As I said,
it's a point of fact for me--beyond proving, debating, or working out.
And, as I was also surprised to learn, Incus's true sex does not affect
the plot much at all (except it clarifies why Silk, on the floaters,
thought Incus was the best augur to shrive Marble after her marriage to
Hammerstone and the enigmatic references to Maytera Corn bring a smile
to my lips).

For me, the closely related issue that Wolfe mapped the Long Sun plot
over the life of Aristaeus is a much bigger deal. Yet,  most people
don't have the background to see it, nor the interest to care one way or
the other.

u+16b9