(urth) Patera Incus

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 06:36:58 PDT 2010

Lee Berman wrote (16-08-2010 13:32):

> My opinion is that something weird IS going on when a fictional letter is
> written, then re-written. And so far, James' explanation has the honor of
> Best Working Hypothesis on what that weird thing is.

I must admit that when I first read 'Incus is a woman' I thought it was an
interesting idea. But James's explanation of his theory made me go back to
the text, and to be honest I don't read there anything remotely like what he
suggests. I'm all for considering there's something there, but I see no way
to make that passage say 'Incus is a woman and/or is telling Fulmar that'. I
mean, I read James's effort, but I just don't find it is a possible reading
of what's there.