(urth) Brook Madregot runs between

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Aug 11 11:14:31 PDT 2010

On 8/11/2010 12:54 PM, James Wynn wrote:
> On 8/11/2010 12:12 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> These are good points, I think that's how the BOTNS was written
>> originally, but the flood would break the covenant with Noah, so
>> URTH's record of the flood coming to pass necessitates that at least
>> the fifth volume comes from another cycle than our own.
>
> I don't think Wolfe was considering the Noahtic covenant when he wrote
> about the flood. Does he mention it in the Sun cycle at all? The Noahtic
> covenant could hardly be as problematic as the Church devolving into
> worship of the Concilliator or the Charter. Essentially, the stories
> work fine as one from our distant future, and we shouldn't try to apply
> theologic import to their basic Setting.

That suits me, and I agree that he was not thinking sbout it at the
time. But since only a couple of years later the "Urth is a previous
cycle" became his steady line, I think he belatedly thought of it and
shifting to a previous cycle is extratextual retroactive continuity.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >