(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Aug 10 13:58:26 PDT 2010

On 8/10/2010 11:59 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
> For me Wolfe's words suggests that the universe we readers live in is in the cosmological future of Briah.
> The text suggests to me that Yesod is in the cosmological future of Briah. So, not an impossible conclusion
> that we live in Yesod. It explains why a denizen of Yesod, Tzadkiel, has an identical name to one of our
> angels. And it fits Wolfe's assertion that Briah is a universe in our past.

What explains all the dozens of identical saints' names in Briah then?

> No disrepect intended Roy, but that is your opinion. I see the same words and find different meaning.
> As I understand, there is a succession of universes and Briah is succeeded by Yesod. One step higher on
> the staircase, so to speak.  I truly don't understand where you get the concept of Yesod being "apart"
> like a single step or a ladder rung floating detached in a void.

Because that's exactly what Severian describes?  The Ship flies to the
extremely distant reaches of Briah, where there's a discontinuity, a
wormhole that leads directly to the machine planet in Yesod; he leaves
Yesod by the same means, through a hole in space and time that reaches
from indoors on Yesod partway back into Briah.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >