(urth) Vodalus & the Old Autarch

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Aug 10 02:35:47 PDT 2010

On 8/10/2010 3:21 AM, Mr Thalassocrat wrote:
> Recent posts about what Sev might or should have discovered about his
> mother/sister/himself at the end of BOTNS remind me of something which
> has bugged me for a long time: How come Vodalus didn't know that his
> agent was actually the old Autarch?
> Thecla-in-Sev recognises the old Autarch; his profile is on the coinage;
> clearly his appearance isn't some kind of big secret.
> But Vodalus doesn't make the conenction. How likely is that?

In both real and fictional espionage, it's not unusual for turncoats to
remain unmet by the other side's leader, especially if he is not his own
spymaster. Even if they meet someone, that person may be a cutout for
that purpose only, with the messages originating from another source.
Vodalus is doubltess aware of this, so his trust would have to be gained
by releasing truly secret but verifiable information, and information
leading to the loss of something with a perceived value too high to be
considered a willing sacrifice.

The Autarch/Inire at some point had to screw someone over by betraying
them to Vodalus. This may have involved the Machiavellian form of
sending a problematic subordinate (like a heptarch who has been
discovered to have a ruinous secret subjecting him to blackmail but has
too many family connections to dismiss) to the front, collecting favors
from the family connections to redirect them elsewhere, then using "the
agent" to leak the selected details. The subordinate's column is
ambushed, the rebels get some plunder, "the agent" is vindicated, the
subordinate is either killed or cashiered for being unprepared, and the
prince has a stronger position in his own country.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >