(urth) Vodalus & the Old Autarch

Mr Thalassocrat thalassocrat08 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 01:21:23 PDT 2010

Recent posts about what Sev might or should have discovered about his
mother/sister/himself at the end of BOTNS remind me of something which has
bugged me for a long time: How come Vodalus didn't know that his agent was
actually the old Autarch?

Thecla-in-Sev recognises the old Autarch; his profile is on the coinage;
clearly his appearance isn't some kind of big secret.

But Vodalus doesn't make the conenction. How likely is that?

I lean towards thinking this is just a narrative glitch, because I can't
think up a text-based explanation for it.

Yes, it's easy enough to think up stories along the lines of Vodalus never
having been at court, never meeting with old-Autarch-as-agent in the
presence of anybody who has, not drawing the connection from the coinage -
and so on. But this seems very thin to me - does anybody have anything
better?