(urth) Resurrections

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Aug 2 03:10:15 PDT 2010

On 8/1/2010 4:53 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> 200 autarchs could rule an average of 5 years each over 1000 years. If
> 20 of these autarchs ruled an average of 20 years, the remaining 180
> would each have to rule for about 3+1/3 years to maintain the average.
> It's possible. In such a system, the individuality of each autarch, all
> but the greatest, would be inconsequential and utterly lost. Which is
> exactly what has happened in imperial dynasties. England's monarch, by
> contrast, was much more robust even at its weakest.

Which imperial dynasties did you have in mind? Holy Roman?
Austro-Hungarian? Egyptian?

> If we know only 3 names from the past 1000 years, perhaps that is why.

There's a few more, but my Lexicon may have drifted into the Void.
There's Ymar, Sulpicius, the guy that closed the roads, "Appian", Severian,

 > If only these 3 ruled for 50 each and the remainder for still only about
 > 4 years on average, that makes 200 in total. It's then slightly more
 > plausible.

Still not a good match for the mathematical likelihood, or the the more
stable monarchies' historical examples, and I think that the
considerable reliance upon secret words and non-subbornable machines
makes the Autarchy more resistant to hostile seizure than similar,
(apparently) constitutionless rulerships.

 > But is this important?

There is so little said about the thousand-year succession of autarchs
despite it being such a central story feature that any detail about them
is important and could be the key to any of the attendant mysteries,
like how Sulpicius can be expected to return.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >