(urth) Seawrack's name

Mr Thalassocrat thalassocrat08 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 06:22:40 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:13 PM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>wrote:

>  Absolutely! And Wolfe mixes them up anyway.
>
> If the Syrenka is involved at all, she is not known for being a siren. But
> Seawrack is.
>
> It's not much of a stretch.

Whatever the Mother calls her, I think it's pretty clear how Horn comes to
call her "Seawrack".

While walking on the island he pulls up some of the ground cover and sees in
his hand "a little, weak, torn thing", and "knew it for the green scum I had
seen washed ashore after storms". In other words, what might be called
"seawrack", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawrack

Wouldn't be at all surprising if "Seawrack" is a recognised female Vironese
name.

Shortly afterward that, he meets her and hears a name which suggests to him
"Seawrack", because of a similarity in sounds, because of her hair "misted
green by some microscopic sea-plant", and just because it seems to him to
suit her - presumably in part because she appears to him then in some
respects "a little, weak, torn thing".

Personally, I think that trying to reconstruct the name the Mother calls her
by is one of those Wolfean invitations to drive oneself bat-shit - simply
not enough information. My guess is that it's something Neighbor-ish.
Anyway, Horn never seems to have trouble with the names of the human
"foreigners" he encounters.