(urth) Seawrack's name

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 30 18:47:27 PDT 2010

>David Stockhoff- If Seawrack is a part of Scylla, then she is certainly "little" even if
>she's a siren and not a mermaid.

At the risk of mucking up David's perfectly good Andersenian reference I'd want to note
that sirens and mermaids are not really distinct creatures. The sirens are often depicted
as mermaids and mermaids were often supposed to have a seductive, deadly allure. I think
the legends are all intertwined.

Manatees are supposed to be the real world inspiration for mermaids. As mentioned, their
order classification is Sirenia. We know undines are confused with manatees in BotNS. I
don't remember Juturna singing but she certainly had a seductive nature, luring Severian
toward an underwater future.

Wolfe is certainly giving those European water nymphs/demons their due. Joining the undines
and nixies and kelpies that are mentioned in BotNS, now we might have a melusine/syrenka
inspiration to the siren of the Short Sun.

I like the idea of a pinched off piece of a larger entity as the origin for undines and
Seawrack. But I notice in these European legends of the creatures there is often a Changeling
aspect. And some of the Mother and Seawrack's talk does suggest Seawrack could have been
a child stolen from her real mother. I suspect another one of those double possibility
solutions WOlfe throws at us.