(urth) Seawrack's name

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Aug 30 13:27:39 PDT 2010

  I'm pretty sure Wolfe is as deeply familiar with heraldry as he is
with mythology and the Tarot. It is, after all, a system of Christian
symbolism.

And that coat of arms is not purely Polish---the Queen's Royal Hussars
(UK) wear it, among others. It's "around."

I wouldn't take "syrenka" as a joke at all, except maybe for the missing
arm. Otherwise, except for lacking a sword and shield, the Syrenka is
especially fitting because she used to be a female water-dragon, and
before that a male one (from the Wiki). She's a monster.

If Seawrack is a part of Scylla, then she is certainly "little" even if
she's a siren and not a mermaid.

The sound match is even better than "syrinx."