(urth) Seven American Nights explanation wins "award"

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Aug 26 08:07:28 PDT 2010

Well put.

I'm not sure how SAN is postcolonial, exactly. If anything, it's postrepublican: the government that seizes Nadan no longer has any pretense to being even a republic.

Nadan's presence in the US is more of a simple literary reversal of Orientalism. The story doesn't show the evils of imperialism except as practiced on one's own people, as dictatorship. If a foreign government were supporting that dictatorship, it might be different---but that doesn't appear to be the case. Nadan's tourism reveals those evils, not the evils of submission to foreign empire that allows such tourism as the British once practiced in, say Egypt, though they are superficially similar.