(urth) Grand Unified Theory

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 20:13:03 PDT 2010

>Ryan Dunn: I personally like to throw an idea that I cannot decipher out to
>a group of intelligent people who happen to read the same author from time to time.

I agree with Ryan. The stuff here doesn't make good pub or dinner table conversation.

>Craig Brewer- But one thing that I always want to know is how the details or the baroque
>theories do more than point out some hidden plot point.

I agree with Craig. Niggling at the shape of the individual jigsaw pieces is okay, but
eventually I prefer to focus on the big picture taking shape. Thus the subject name of this
thread.

>James Wynn- Premise 1: Pas & Kypris = Typhon & Mamelta = Spring Wind & Bird of the Woods

>Premise 2: Silk is "Fish", who was raised by shepherds. (As opposed to
>Frog who was raised by wolves).
>(Incidentally, the names Silk and Fish qualify the two as "brothers" at
>least as strongly as "Silk" and "Sand" and for the same reasons.)

I've been trying to consider James' premises from my own GUT perspective. I can't quite
get to Premise 2. It isn't clear to me how the names Silk and Fish (and Sand) imply fraternity.
Also the Fish and Frog story is said to take place on Urth (albeit an Urth in which wolves are
able to talk and carry swords). I can't see how Silk was ever on Urth.

Premise 1 makes a bit more sense to me. Mamelta certainly does seem motherly in some ways. I
can sorta like Spring Wind as Typhon for a couple reasons. I think Typhon, like the others with
monster names on Urth, is an alien being.  Spring Wind and Bird o' da Woods could be aliens
as they are not on Urth but from "beyond the shores of Urth". Also, Typhon and his cognates,
Typhon-Set, Pa(s)uzu and Vrita are mythological gods associated with wind, though it is a hot,
searing desert wind causing drought, rather than a "Spring" wind. All have dragon associations
also.

On the other hand, Spring Wind is quiet and obedient and with more interest in growing plants
and stuff than conquest. A bit of a mama's boy.  No dragon hints. Doesn't seem much like
mythological or BotNS Typhon.

Either way I still appreciate James' efforts. He sees things I don't (and vice versa I assume).
Though his GUT appears to be different than mine his views help me with mine.