(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 06:14:12 PDT 2010

>Jeff Wilson- It just occurred to me that Blue might be Scylla's home planet.

Yes :- ). Isn't there a mention that Scylla had her own world to rule?

I think Echidna is also a possibility, though mythological Scylla was a sea
monster and Echidna was a cave dweller. I think Horn mentions that Echidna seems
to be getting most of the worship since they arrived on Blue.

From Wikipedia-

>In the most ancient layers of Greek mythology, Echidna (Greek: Ἔχιδνα, ekhis, ἔχις,
>meaning "she viper") was called *the "Mother of All Monsters"* because most of the
>monsters in Greek myth were the offspring of Echidna and her husband Typhon. Echidna
>was described by Hesiod as a female monster spawned in a cave, who mothered with her mate
>Typhoeus (or Typhon) almost every major horrible monster in the Greek myths.

>Echidna was a *drakaina*, with the face and torso of a beautiful woman and the body of a
>serpent, sometimes having two serpent's tails. The site of her cave Homer calls "Arima,
>couch of Typhoeus".

Interesting that we have a character in BotNS also called "The Mother". Also snake-like.
Also cave-dwelling. And "couch of Typhon"- I think we have seen that in BotNS also.
How DOES The Cumaean fit into all this?

>In Greek mythology, a drakaina (Greek: δράκαινα) is a female dragon, sometimes with
>human-like features.

What better wife for a mandragora than a drakaina?

In Greek mythology, Typhon, Echidna, Scylla, Lamia, witches, vampires, dragons, snakes are
all related. In some manner, all these find their way into BotNS which seems like a guide to
appearances in Long/Short Sun.