(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:59:07 PDT 2010

>Jeff Wynn- Well, they are there for *him* [Gene Wolfe]. Because he knows where
>the clues are and he knows where the clues are *not*. I'm sure he thinks it's
>perfectly obvious who that guy was with barnacles who climb into Horn's boat...if
>you are just paying attention.

That Gene Wolfe fellow must not be the sharpest tool in the shed or he'd have
figured out after 30 years of writing that nobody finds his stories obvious. ;- )

A good observation that knowledege of where clues are not is almost as useful
as knowledge of where they are.

That barnacle crusted thing is pretty weird. What I'd like it to be is an old
version of Seawrack, a..erm...temptress created for the Neighbors which is now
so senile it jumped into the boat of the wrong species.

What Horn's weird musings suggest is that it is some sort of Vanished People
version of King Midas, cursed by the gifts of the gods, immortal and spending
eternity underwater collecting a coating of crustaceans.

My worst fear is that it is what becomes of Blue's version of Severian.

Oannes indeed. Sigh.