(urth) The Two Katherines

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Tue Aug 17 07:59:08 PDT 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 12:45 AM, Dave Tallman wrote:

> Here is another quote from that section, ambiguous but possibly significant, "I knew even as I watched her that her head was only concealed in the cloth; but it seemed there was nothing there. I felt dizzy and tired."
>

> He had seen the illusion many times, and this time much closer. Yet this time "it seemed there was nothing there." He also felt dizzy and tired, perhaps because healing power was going out from him.

I guess if you're trying to make it fit your theory, then sure those could be clues (albeit vague at best).

Does Severian feel dizzy during other resurrections? I think that is important. I don't think so, at least not with Triskele or Dorcas.

However, he DOES get out of sorts when he's nervous, as in his first "real" beheading just after Sanguinary Field. My interpretation of the passage you mentioned was that he had some stage fright, and was relieved to have it over. He so much as says he KNOWS that her head is in the cloth, but the sight of a missing head likely made him a bit light-headed.

...ryan