(urth) Wolfe's Attitude toward his Readers

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Aug 15 15:28:15 PDT 2010

I tend to agree with this conclusion, granting that numbers are not
words and may be deployed for different reasons. However, digging up and
putting to work an ancient word is not analogous to creating a code out
of numbers. In fact, one could argue that making up a code itself
parallels making up a language, and therefore could be said to be
something Wolfe does not do.

If the analogy holds up, this set of numbers already has a meaning
outside the text.

Not much of a clue, I know.