(urth) Wolfe's Attitude toward his Readers

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Aug 14 07:15:16 PDT 2010

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
>>Gerry Quinn-
>>I posted on this before: I suggested that the apparent low entropy of the
>>numbers may be in order to add verisimilitude without inplying any
>>specific
>>meaning assigned in the text.
>
> I'm sorry Gerry, I don't understand what you mean by "low entropy of the
> numbers. Could you explan?

You can think of it as jargon for "not random". They are plainly not a
completely random string of digits.  A random string would have maximum
entropy.  There are ways of quantifying the relative degree of disorder;
somebody posted on it previously.

>>"Ora faltig teru dres, ent oru klen rebalen tafru."  That looks like a
>>sentence in a foreign language (either originating in or transcribed into
>>the Latin alphabet).  It is not entirely random: I made it to seem
>>pronouncable.and have a plausible distribution of word lengths etc., even
>>an
>>echo between 'ora' and 'oru'.  But it means nothing!
>
> I must confess that I am one who becomes quickly annoyed by authors who
> invent
> alien languages for their text (yes, even you, J.R.R., though you are
> redeemed
> a bit by basing Elvish on Suomi (Finnish)). One of my true pleasures in
> reading
> Gene Wolfe is that he instead takes pains to use extant words (albeit
> sometimes
> nearly extinct words).
>
> If Wolfe wants to depict an undecipherable word he does not tend use our
> alphabet
> to do so. He finds a way to describe the undecipherable symbol with color
> and/or
> shape and/or descriptors like "gnostic" or "terratoid".
>
> As an engineer, I assume Gene Wolfe finds numbers to be almost as
> important,
> symbolically, as letters. I would be unpleasantly surprised to learn he
> has invented
> a fake paragraph of numbers when he is so averse to doing that same thing
> to words.

But again - verisimiltude!  Would Pas's engineers and quartemasters have
used strings of numbers, or a panoply of teratoid icons?  I expect that
somewhere in Mainframe is a big list of what all vaults on the Whorl
originally contained, indexed by number.  In a more controlled
disembarkation, instructions would be passed down regarding which were to be
opened.

- Gerry Quinn