(urth) The Two Coins...

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Sat Aug 14 06:07:36 PDT 2010

On Aug 14, 2010, at 7:24 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> No, there was positive ID from Ouen's locket, and lots of supporting evidence.  Also the narrator plays detective and finds this out with no particular reason for us to doubt it, which IMO is a literary signal that this is canon.
>
> The hypothesis that Dorcas is Severian's grandmother has distinctive characteristics that many such hypotheses lack...
>
> - Gerry Quinn

No, the positive ID was that Dorcas was Ouen's mother, if I recall. The ID that Severian was their grandson was based on Ouen's profile, based on a comment by the Innkeep off-handedly (right?).

I happen to agree with you, I'm just saying, if we can draw such a conclusion based on such an ID, then we can do it elsewhere. Severian, at many points in the story, seems to be nudging to reader without speaking, as if to say "look at this".

He does it with those stinking coins, that's why I begged the question, "what's going on here? anything?"

...ryan