(urth) The Two Coins...

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Aug 14 04:24:36 PDT 2010

From: "Ryan Dunn" <ryan at liftingfaces.com>

> Since the false coins are never used, is it possible these coins bear
> Severian's face? I mean, after all, we've come to a bit of consensus that
> Dorcas is his grandmother based on a waiter's comment on Ouen and Severian
> having a similar profile.

No, there was positive ID from Ouen's locket, and lots of supporting
evidence.  Also the narrator plays detective and finds this out with no
particular reason for us to doubt it, which IMO is a literary signal that
this is canon.

The hypothesis that Dorcas is Severian's grandmother has distinctive
characteristics that many such hypotheses lack...

- Gerry Quinn