(urth) Standard Wolfean riddle

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 11:53:54 PDT 2010

David Stockhoff wrote (13-08-2010 01:52):
> António Marques wrote:
>> Ok, so now explain to us what a branching universe is. This is a
>> rhetorical demand, but an honest one.
>
> That's a good question. All I can do is point to Ash and the Green Man,
> who clearly were born in futures far ahead of Severian's. Since their
> futures are presumably incompatible, they represent a branching.

I have my doubts that Master Ash belongs in the same universe or at least
planet. His explanation of why he daren't leave the house surely points to
quantical branching. But he's supposed to be only a few liftimes after
Severian. Where did he get such scientific understanding? (Of course select
people have science, but he seems to explain it in terms much more familiar
to our own time than to Severian's.)

Otoh, if true branching were at work, his 'probability' shouldn't be
determinable in Severian's time, at least not so definitely. And who's Vine?
I was going to say branching implied a 5th dimensional universe, but Ash's
disappearance and the odd way he talks about Severian's suggest to me that
he is not a future of that Severian, possible or otherwise.

> As for Yesod being before Briah,

What would that mean?
What would its opposite mean?

I suppose you mean Yesod having 'gnabed into' Briah or a 'predecessor' of
Briah. But I don't think it can be put that way. Even if in our analogies
there is a succession A -> B -> C, the '->' isn't really temporal, so it's
more of something we use for our benefit than something which has true
significance - i.e., A -> B doesn't really connect A to B.

> I don't think so. I understand Yesod to
>  be "higher" than Briah; but what that means is not entirely clear. I
> generally agree with Roy's position that this means exactly what it seems
> to mean: a higher plane with no intersection with Briah. Madregot or FTL
> is needed to bridge them.
>
> By saying she was in a time before the birth of Severian, Apheta seems to
> contradict this scheme. It needs to be explained away.

Well, it could mean that at the point in Yesod's time in which they were
there was yet no passage to Briah.