(urth) Standard Wolfean riddle

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Aug 12 17:52:00 PDT 2010

That's a good question. All I can do is point to Ash and the Green Man,
who clearly were born in futures far ahead of Severian's. Since their
futures are presumably incompatible, they represent a branching.

As for Yesod being before Briah, I don't think so. I understand Yesod to
be "higher" than Briah; but what that means is not entirely clear. I
generally agree with Roy's position that this means exactly what it
seems to mean: a higher plane with no intersection with Briah. Madregot
or FTL is needed to bridge them.

By saying she was in a time before the birth of Severian, Apheta seems
to contradict this scheme. It needs to be explained away.