(urth) Standard Wolfean riddle

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Aug 12 10:41:59 PDT 2010

That's exactly right. If the difference ever goes beyond just a shadowy past or a disguise and an assumed name, then it's always something outside the bounds of ordinary reality, and therefore one requiring assembly by the reader. And it's always a key to the narrative.

In this case, the relation between one universe and another is unknowable and almost magical; therefore, the relation between men of one creation and men of another is indefinable.

I personally have a hard time seeing the difference between a universe that is perpetually restarted in time and one that is infintely reborn under closely guided and identical conditions. In such a context, one can conclude that the race who made the Hieros were human beings like ourselves with our physiology and history---but whether they are in "our" future is unknowable. Whether they were in our iteration or a 99.9999999% identical one, past or future, is unknowable.

And this is why it is satisfying to consider which universe holds the Hieromakers, which holds Jesus, and which Severian, and the relation among them, and wonder if all three aren't the same---because if they aren't at least "cognate," then none of it matters.

Side topic---is Yesod merely what we know of as subspace?