(urth) Standard Wolfean riddle

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 08:09:55 PDT 2010

>> David Stockhoff- On the use of the word "cognates":
>> I think this is a standard low-grade Wolfean riddle. If a Wolfe
>> character says to a narrator, "I once met a man very like you, who had the same look and carried himself the same way, and held his cigarette just like that, but he called himself by a different name then," how would you interpret that?
>>
>> "Once upon a time, there was a race of beings with two arms and two legs who called themselves Men. They were very like you, with the same hopes and dreams, but they lived far away from here, both in space and in time." How would you interpret that? I read both as strong hints of the obvious, with a dash of doubt.

If it is a Wolfe novel, it is almost certainly not a 1 to 1 mapping. I
the other fellow might have been a phyiscal or psychic clone. Or
software epitome that was created long ago. It might be a potential
future version that will never enter into the story. Or it might have
been someone else in possession of the same body. Or it might have been
an impostor who didn't realize that he was a psychic clone. Much of
Wolfe's writing career has been picking away at the foundations of Identity.

> Lee Berman - Speaking of SilkHorn, isn't that a prime example of what we are speaking of? We have a guy who keeps insisting he is Horn, searching for Silk, while everyone around him keeps saying, "Uh, dude, you are a tall, slender guy with white hair and a black bird named Oreb on your shoulder".
>
> In that case (like the Dorcas riddle), I think most readers figure it out. Other Wolfean riddles are more difficult to solve, as we've seen.

This is an excellent example. I'm not convinced most people do
understand what is going on. Silk is dead. He slashed his wrists and
killed himself in front of Hyacinth's casket. Silk's body and memories
are present. But Horn's memories are present as well. Wolfe would say
they are both truly there. And then there is that "other" who communes
with the face on his staff and can initiate dream-travels across Time
and Space. Yeah, Silk is there. But I contend he not the way people seem
to think he is.

Surely he is as much a "cognate" as a race of beings in a universe whose
history and individuals are almost the same as another race of beings in
another universe.

Wolfe is not just adding a dash of doubt. He is probing what it means to
be the "I am". The cognate race is as much humanity as Jahlee was the
Rajan's sister. As much as Silk was Tussah's son.

u+16b9