(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Aug 12 05:33:32 PDT 2010

On the use of the word "cognates":

I think this is a standard low-grade Wolfean riddle. If a Wolfe
character says to a narrator, "I once met a man very like you, who had
the same look and carried himself the same way, and held his cigarette
just like that, but he called himself by a different name then," how
would you interpret that?

"Once upon a time, there was a race of beings with two arms and two legs
who called themselves Men. They were very like you, with the same hopes
and dreams, but they lived far away from here, both in space and in
time." How would you interpret that?

I read both as strong hints of the obvious, with a dash of doubt.