(urth) Brook Madregot runs between

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 05:14:21 PDT 2010

>Jerry Friedman- And since people have been discussing the hut in the Botanic Gardens,
>that could provide evidence that Urth isn't our future.  In our time, "isangoma" and
>"tokoloshe" are words from southern Africa, where there are no jungles.  Margays
>and uakaris are found in South America.  Oreodonts lived in the grasslands and
>savannas of North and Central America until a few million years ago.  The
>passage about Mount Nebo is distinctly different from the Bible.  What reason
>could Wolfe have had for combining these disparate features except to tell us
>Robert and Marie didn't live in our world in the last century?

Uakarki and margays could have climbed the ladder from the garden but oreodonts..
nope. I agree that this and some other objections have called my theory of the
Jungle Hut as a Last House-type time travel portal to our Earth into question.
Moreover, so does Borski's guess that the people in the hut are Scottish missionaries
Robert and Mary Moffat, since they died before the airplane was invented (but where is
the burr in their speech?)

This mish mash of different geographic and time period species does reinforce the
sense that The Botanic Garden is also a zoo. It suggests that the creator of the zoo
considers human beings as a sort of animal, to be put on display.

This can't help but bring back to my mind the "sexual penetrating" meaning of the Latin
word "inire" and the derived name of Inuus, epithet of Pan/Faunus, and his proclivity
for intercourse with animals. ;- )